Friday, February 10, 2017

Where did that dream go?

My guy and I have been kicking around for weeks, maybe even months, how Donald Trump was elected.  Who voted for him.  My guy thinks it was disenfranchised, older white men who had not gotten what they felt all the folks getting handouts were getting.  Believe me those handouts are not as easy to come by as those folks think, but that is for another time.

So, I asked him what about the women who voted for him, and there were a lot.  He, being the idealist that he is when it comes to women (that certainly works to my benefit), did not have an answer.

I think I might have some insight into this issue.  I was a product of the 60's.  I was not raised to join corporate America and take on the role of a bread winner or even a half a loaf bread winner.  I was raised that my husband would work and I would raise children and stay home and do whatever I wanted.  I liked that idea.  My mom did it.  My sister did it.  It was good enough for them, it would be good enough for me.

Well that plan did not work out so well.  First of all, I am not very good at just staying home and cleaning toilets.  I mean how many times a day can you clean a toilet before you are really, really bored.  And the economics with rising prices and the chase for the American dream meant go to work.

Frankly I  have resented it somewhat my whole life.  The generation before me mostly stayed home and raised children.  I was in the generation of super mom.  You know work, perhaps go to school, and make sure you raising a decent human being.

I am not the only one who felt somewhat cheated.  After all TV said that the Brady Bunch mom stayed home, the Partridge Family, you know all those "programs that depicted real life in America."  So many of us from the 60's felt cheated.  Then the evangelical Christians did not help with that living the dream as they teach that the man is the head of the household, the wife is supposed to take care of the children, and him too.

So here we are with a population who bought into all that nonsense and want that "dream" in their lives.  Along comes this person who says what they want to hear (never mind he does not believe any of it nor live any of it) and they think they have found a Messiah who will lead them into the promised land of the 1950's.

I hate to say it folks but that can never happen.  Even if the regime gets half of what they are trying to do by force there will always be those of us who know they are liars and fight them.  Their vision is not the promised land.  It is a cage.  It does not allow for growth or compassion or basic human rights given to  us by the Constitution of the United States.

So folks don't be fooled by the Piped Piper, you know where that led.

No comments:

Post a Comment